There are five members of the San Carlos School Board. Each member is elected for a term of four years, with staggered elections of two seats and three seats happening every two years (in November of odd numbered calendar years).
For the 2011-2012 school year, the Governance Team (which consists of the School Board and the Superintendent) has established the following goals:
- Ensure consistent, high quality educational programs for all students at all schools across the district.
- Further develop “cultures of professional learning” and increase and deepen professional development opportunities for all staff at all school sites
- Finalize development and adoption of aligned K-8 curriculum for math and technology
- Engage in strategic planning processes and “roadmap development”, and communicate these plans clearly to/with all stakeholders.
- Complete plans to increase facilities capacity in order to handle a projected increase of approximately 600 students over the next 7 years
- Engage staff and community in a comprehensive set of presentations and discussions regarding 21st Century Learning and Global Education in order to inform strategic planning process
- Plan for both the expansion of the district’s preschool program and the start-up of a new Transitional Kindergarten program
- Be good stewards of public dollars and meet all educational, policy, and fiduciary responsibilities entrusted to the Board of Trustees and all its employees.
- Continue exploring and implementing creative strategies for new revenue generation and efficient budget management to maximize resources.